Midwest Steel, the nation’s leading Structural Steel contractor, continues to build its specialty in the AS/RS industry. The Company is involved in the construction of complex distribution centers and structures across the country. Some of the customers served by Midwest Steel include Fastenal, Nestle, H.E.B. Grocery, Peterbilt and First Quality. This division within the company, and the Rack industry as a whole, continues to experience rapid growth and change that is expected to continue long into the future.
The Structural Steel Detailer Position
Midwest Steel ensures that its entire team is well-rounded and understands the AS/RS and steel business from the ground up. This means that the newest Detailer will go through a training process that includes actual hands-on in the field, as well as in the fabrication shop at Midwest Steel's sister company, Indiana Bridge. Other key highlights of the job include direct experience working alongside a Manager that has 20+ years within the business, other experienced professionals in the office and the field, working on unique projects, and having the opportunity to grow as this division and industry continues to grow.
The Steel Detailer (ASRS) performs a variety of duties, including, but not limited to:
- Collaborate with the engineering team, client, and others to develop a clear understanding of the required specifications and overall design
- Work as a key part of the team, in a Design-Build capacity, that has responsibility from design to fabrication and ultimately all the way through erection in the field
- Read structural and architectural drawings to develop shop & erection drawings using AutoCAD & Tekla
- Responding to questions from shop and field personnel, and providing detail sketches when needed
- Assist the estimating department and project managers in analyzing the cost impact for change requests
- Coordinate & collaborate with our clients & the project team to ensure the ‘constructability’ of the rack structure
- Analyze and revise drawings based off the engineer’s comments, architects’ changes, site conditions etc.
- Continually develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, including developing enhanced software skills and keeping Midwest Steel on the cutting edge of applicable technology
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities for the Structural Steel Detailer
- Associate degree in CAD or equivalent career experience
- 5 years’ experience as a steel detailer, with specific focus on rack structures
- Experience using AutoCAD, Revit, and/or Tekla
- Experience developing fabrication shop drawings
- Experience in BIM-coordinated projects required
Compensation, Benefits, and Structure for the Structural Steel Detailer
This is a full-time, permanent position that offers a competitive salary, full benefit package that is 100% employer-paid, paid time off, long-term stability, and a strong Company culture.
This position will be based in Muncie, Indiana. The position may requires travel during the training period for the first 4-6 weeks, but then is expected to be office-based 90% of the time.
The Recruitment Process for the Structural Steel Detailer
The recruiting process is designed to ensure that we make the right hire for this critical position and will include a combination of phone and in-person interviews, candidate assessments and a pre-employment background check.
Midwest Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer!