We are currently in search of a Manager, People & Culture for DASH (District Alliance for Safe Housing). The position is based in Washington, DC. This is a full-time, hybrid position with the need to be in the office 3 days per week.
POSITION TITLE: Manager, People & Culture
LOCATION: Washington, DC (hybrid role, 3 days in office)
DURATION: Full-time Permanent role
SALARY: $75-$85K annually
Summary of Position:
As Manager, People & Culture (P&C), you will be proactive and agile, demonstrating high initiative and planning skills as you manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. You will serve the employees and ensure all required activities are carried out and properly documented. You will be the engagement and appreciation leader at DASH. You are expected to work with utmost professionalism and confidentiality. You thrive in a dynamic, people-centered, results-driven, fast-paced environment that requires flexibility, collaboration, and creative thinking. You consistently maintain a service mentality and organizational integrity and adhere to the DASH model and values.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Expectations
- Prioritize all P&C functions that are associated with grant compliance.
- Perform P&C functions in compliance with grant funding requirements and local, state, and federal employment-related laws and regulations.
- Maintain detailed, orderly records and documentation that are easily accessible.
- Administer compensation changes, ensuring all documentation is accurate, properly recorded, and final approvals are received and stored.
- Perform employee accident/incident analysis and follow-up workers’ compensation cases with accurate documentation.
- Implement P&C department audit functions as assigned by the Senior Director, P&C.
- Partner with outsourced agencies to communicate job openings within the organization, perform all communication with applicants throughout the decision process, and coordinate and schedule panel interviews and meet and greets.
- Record all applicant updates and decisions to provide visibility to leadership on the recruiting process.
- Update hiring managers regularly during the recruiting process.
- Compile and submit the completed hiring recommendation packet for executive approval for endorsed applicants.
- Document and continuously improve a compelling employee value proposition and DASH employer brand that showcases the unique value and benefits employees gain by being part of the DASH workforce.
- Maintain up-to-date, legal job descriptions, and company organizational charts.
Internal Customer Service
- Resolve routine employee queries related to processes and administration of P&C.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all employees. Demonstrate a great degree of discretion, flexibility, and cooperation.
- Create guidelines and FAQ documents about P&C and company policies. Perform needs assessments to determine employee’s level of understanding of policies and create action plans to address as a continuous improvement process.
- Assist employees with benefits administration issues and claims resolution.
- Ensure employees are continuously informed of benefits offerings and promote wellness offerings.
- Model DASH’s standard of understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to cultural differences in the agency’s service and employee population.
- Master, communicate, and model DASH values.
- Exhibit the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity. Maintain complete employee confidentiality in all matters.
Engagement and Recognition
- Cultivate a positive and welcoming work environment.
- Build and maintain relationships with people at different experience levels, positions, and backgrounds.
- Produce regular, timely internal communication materials and documents for employees. Craft suitable, appropriate, practical, engaging, and professional messages to help the organization stay aligned and focused.
- Plan, coordinate, execute, and assist with hosting employee events and appreciation activities.
- Source, recommend, procure, and oversee special events, appreciation, milestone gifts, employee personal events, or other recognition.
- Maintain regular communication with employees on leave to assess any needs related to their employment. Ensure all insurance or other needs are attended to.
- Evaluate the outcome of all projects related to engagement and recognition. Create plans for continuous improvement.
Professional Employer Organization (PEO) Liaison
- Coordinate and gather hours worked from all departments to ensure accurate and timely payroll. Review time allocations for grant compliance.
- Provide payroll support to managers and Finance.
- Become the P&C expert on the systems available through the PEO.
- Identify important demographics and how the PEO system can be used for tracking and reporting.
Processes and Data
- Ensure P&C processes are documented and accurate.
- Measure, analyze, and report on engagement, attrition, and hiring. Report on the recruiting process and related metrics weekly to the Senior Director. • Measure and report on appreciation and engagement activities.
- Track and report accident/incident trends quarterly to the Senior Director.
- Analyze and report on offboarding themes and essential related metrics to the Senior Director.
- Perform offboarding exit interviews.
- Ensure all documentation related to separation is compiled from all sources and maintained in an orderly, easily accessible manner.
- Unemployment claim response and representation as needed.
Furthering the P&C Department
- Assist the P&C Senior Director and COO with project work as requested.
- Maintain an ongoing P&C action item list that organizes all department tasks and ensures they are tracked to completion.
- Maintain constant communication with the P&C Senior Director concerning duties, roadblocks, accomplishments, tools, or resources needed, and follow-up of your assignments.
- Keep the Senior Director of P&C appropriately informed of relevant employee issues, concerns, or personal situations that may impact their work.
Oversee outsourcing of:
- Employee Recruitment Process
- Source candidates for open roles to meet the organization’s workforce plan.
- Create engaging job advertisements that produce adequate numbers of applicants to meet the organization's needs.
- Publish job announcements to source diverse, qualified candidates for open roles.
- Record all applicant screenings, including skills assessments, interview assessments, relevant background investigation, education verification, and employment verification.
- P&C processes provided by vendors (Insperity, etc.), including vendor evaluation and management.
- Consultants that facilitate P&C responsibilities that are outlined in this job description.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in the following software programs is necessary for this role: Office 365 including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, and SharePoint.
- Human Resources Information System (HRIS) and payroll software
- Performance Management and Learning Management Systems
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, credit check, and drug test.
- Must have proof of vaccination against COVID-19 unless qualified for medical or religious exemption.
- Bachelor’s degree and work equivalent with five or more years of comparable experience preferred.
- Knowledge of HR liability and compliance. Human Resources Certification preferred.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with great attention to detail and demonstrated commitment to achieving quality outcomes. Proficiency in analyzing data and preparing reports.
- Experience in recruitment, selection, and employment activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Experience ensuring strong communication and collaboration cross-functionally.
- Excellent customer service and engagement skills, including clearly explaining matters and establishing rapport with others.
- Optimistic, excited by the challenges of achieving goals, and motivated by DASH’s mission.
- Ability to meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment with competing demands.
- Experience with event coordination preferred.
- Requires prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk and working on a computer.
- May occasionally be called upon to perform various physical tasks, such as pushing, pulling, and lifting as much as 25 pounds unassisted.
- Ability to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.
Travel Requirements: Minimal
Work Environment: Hybrid. Virtual remote and in-person work in an office in a dedicated office building or residential setting in Washington, DC.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
DASH is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. DASH bases employment decisions on each person’s performance, qualifications, and abilities. DASH does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or characteristics protected by the District of Columbia and federal law. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the essential job functions, supplemental functions, and the essential requirements for the performance of this role. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and needs of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned, and management can add or change the responsibilities at any time.
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please click “Apply” to submit your resume.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume to [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers in Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.