VP Fraud Prevention
full-service financial institution with $2.3 billion in assets, over 100k members and we pride ourselves in our commitment to “Making Life Better” in the communities we serve. Since 1952, our commitment toward “Making Life Better” has earned us accolades and we are honored to be the recipient of several local community recognitions:
• Best of Clark County Award / The Columbian - 2008-2023
• Best in Business Award / Vancouver Business Journal - 2013-2022
• Corporate Philanthropy Award / Portland Business Journal - 2017-2021
Vision: The most trusted, respected, and sought-after financial institution, providing innovative solutions and support for our employees, members, and communities we serve.
Mission: Bringing people together to make life better for themselves and their communities.
Value Proposition: Earning your trust with knowledgeable people and digital options so you can bank how and when you want.
Leadership Philosophy: Leaders inspire enthusiasm and accountability that drive our mission. Leaders build engagement and communicate honestly and openly. By rallying everyone around our shared vision, Leaders model and expect the best from individuals and teams.
People - We have a passion for helping each other and our members.
Community - We have a passion for contributing to the success and growth of the communities we serve.
Financial Wellness - We have a passion for providing the financial education, tools and assistance that create financial wellness and stability for our organization, each other, our members and the communities we serve.
• 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision for employee - eligible the 1st of the month following hire date.
• Accrued PTO, Accrued Extended Sick Time and 11 Paid Bank Holidays
• 401k Match- 100% match up to 6% employee contribution
• Tuition Assistance
• And More!
About The Role
Responsible for the Credit Union’s overall loss prevention and identity theft prevention programs; including plastic card and retail payment fraud mitigation programs. And accountable for protecting the organization and consumers from identity-related fraud.
Ensures adequate account fraud controls are in place to limit risk exposure and minimize losses to the Credit Union, while maintaining optimal operational efficiency and excellent member service. Acts as the subject matter expert on card/payment operational systems and loss mitigation strategies for deposit accounts, loan accounts, plastic card, and digital products and services.
• Supports the SVP Chief Risk Officer in leading the six principles of loss prevention – prevention, awareness, compliance, detection, investigation, and resolution.
• Fosters an organization culture of loss prevention where every employee knows the importance of preventing loss and takes personal responsibility for protecting members, the organization, and the community from financial abuse and fraud.
• Promotes member financial wellness and safe banking strategies while emphasizing professionalism, teamwork, collaboration and excellence in member service.
• Develops, leads, and implements a loss prevention strategic plan that supports the organization’s overall strategic objectives.
• Keeps abreast of emerging loss schemes related to retail payments and digital banking fraud to identify fraud trends. Attunes the loss prevention program to adjust to new and existing threats.
• Uses data and systems to produce metrics and management reports that track and trend loss prevention opportunities with the Credit Union.
• Manages all facets of the Loss Prevention Department, including oversight of staff and day-to-day operations.
o Leads department projects to enhance member service, department efficiency and Loss Prevention goals. Represents Loss Prevention on corporate projects.
o Hires, trains, coaches, and motivates Loss Prevention staff, both remote and onsite.
o Encourages and facilitates staff development.
• Develops and maintains loss prevention relationships with external entities that provide services to the organization and industry – including service providers, vendors, supply-side partners, demand-side partners, alliances, consortiums, and other contractual and non-contractual parties.
• Participates in industry and professional organizations.
• Develops and maintains relationships with local law enforcement agencies and other community organizations to help fight financial theft and fraud.
• Mentors and develops staff loss prevention staff.
• Develops and maintains the organization’s loss prevention educational awareness program.
• Manages debit and credit card portfolio risk rule set and Regulation E compliance programs.
• Develops and maintains policies and procedures for anti-fraud and risk management activities.
• Oversees ATM terminal disputes, debit/credit card merchant disputes and fraud claims, including arbitration and compliance as required under Reg E, Reg Z and Visa guidelines.
• Oversees daily fraud monitoring reports.
• Manages e-commerce risk management programs - online banking, remote deposit capture, and mobile banking included.
• Acts as liaison between the Credit Union and law enforcement in retail payment fraud cases.
• Assists the operational Compliance Officer in Currency Transaction and Suspicious Activity Reporting.
• Provides backup to the operational Compliance Officer’s daily duties.
• Oversees recordkeeping for all fraud cases.
• Develops and create exception reports, metrics, and key performance indicators, allowing for proactive prevention of loss and quick resolution of fraud trends.
• Oversees the reconciliation of Loss Prevention Department general ledger accounts.
• Participates in cross-functional projects, promotions, and training and liaises with other departments that involve retail payment fraud.
• Assists the SVP Chief Risk Officer in developing and reviewing budget(s), profit & loss and resource allocation issues including budget development, management, forecasting, and variance analysis and reporting relating to retail payment losses.
• Performs duties that may be required from time to time that are commensurate with the position.
• A bachelor’s degree plus five years’ experience or a minimum 10 years’ experience required.
• Certified Fraud Examiner® or equivalent audit, loss prevention, or risk management certification preferred.
• Proficient in digital banking technologies and the fraud risks associated with offering these services to consumers and businesses.
• Familiar with Visa fraud rules and Regulation E requirements is also preferred.
• Anticipated Hiring Rage: $100,000.00- $115,000.00
• Eligible for annual Back Office Incentive