Status: Exempt, Full-time
Pay Rate: Commensurate with experience.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Locations: Encinitas, CA; Riverside, CA; Nashville, TN
The Controller position is responsible for the accounting operations of the Bancorp and Bank, including:
- Ownership of an appropriate system of accounting records.
- Production of periodic financial reports compliant with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Performance of controls designed to mitigate risk.
- Compliance with state and federal banking regulations.
- Coordinating with internal and external auditors during audits.
- Supervision and development of accounting staff.
Financial Accounting/Financial Reporting:
- Ensure the accurate and timely preparation and review of financial statements and Board reports in accordance with GAAP; includes review of underlying support for completeness and accuracy.
- Prepare the regulatory call reports and FRY reports, and maintain regulatory capital ratios.
- Ensure all balance sheet accounts have been reconciled and proper documentation is maintained; follow-up on any outstanding suspense items.
- Oversee daily operations of the accounting department including but not limited to the
- preparation or review of general ledger entries for cash management, investment securities, CECL, lease accounting, payroll, fixed-asset depreciation, prepaid and accrued expenses, Bancorp consolidation, and equity transactions.
- Lead the monthly financial close including timely recording of journal entries, reconciliations, and preparation of financial statements.
- Maintain cash management of borrowings, pledging, and collateral, including federal reserve and FHLB accounts.
- Work with outsourced tax preparers on the tax provision and return
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements for 1099 and other tax filings.
- Author technical memos on new transactions and stay abreast of new accounting pronouncements and regulatory accounting changes.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures including appropriate internal controls over financial reporting.
- Coordinate with external audit and ensure delivery of audit requests.
- Collaborate with other members of the finance department to complete the annual budget process and monthly updates.
- Work with other departments to improve efficiency and standardize processes to enhance functions in the accounting department.
- Provide adequate oversight of direct reports to ensure their success in accomplishing their objectives and goals.
- Assist in the development, training, and education of direct reports.
- Critically review journal entries and transactions.
- Responsible for managing the accounting staff’s completion of monthly and quarterly close activities through effective delegation, monitoring and review.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience, including community bank and public accounting experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience including developing junior staff and managing staff workload.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license is required.
- Requires broad knowledge of accounting principles and practices within the financial services industry including a strong technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
- Bank regulatory reporting experience required.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft applications, primarily Excel. Experience with Fiserv is highly desirable.
- Must have strong quantitative and verbal/written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience researching and documenting the accounting treatment of issues.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and strategic-thinking skills with a forward-looking focus.