LABORATORY ARCHITECT / PLANNER
Our client is an established, independent consulting firm of architects and engineers dedicated exclusively to the programming, design and execution of laboratory and technical spaces for science education and research. We are located in San Diego, CA and Raleigh, NC and have delivered projects in all 50 states and internationally. Our projects have ranged from small studies to new multi-building research campuses and have included undergraduate science buildings, university research buildings and unique highly specialized research facilities for containment and clean environments. My client has worked collaboratively with hundreds of the best architectural firms across the world for clients that range from small, private liberal-arts colleges to state universities, to hospital systems, to federal research agencies and private industry clients. We are looking for new team members who want to influence the design of significant and important buildings for the scientific community within a structure that supports and rewards independent thinking and entrepreneurship.
What you’ll do
- Develop capabilities and expertise in documenting and coordinating laboratory designs.
- Work with client and project stakeholders at campuses and sites around the country.
- Collaborate with outside architects, engineers and other members of the project design team to develop and coordinate building systems and criteria.
- Coordinate internally with the project team to design, document and execute laboratory and other technical facilities within science buildings.
- Track projects though construction administration and participate in site reviews.
What we are looking for
At a minimum:
- Possess strong organizational and independent working skills.
- Have the ability to manage and develop multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work with clients and collaborators.
- Possess proficiency with Autodesk REVIT and Auto CAD.
- Possess proficiency with MS Office software.
- Have experience compiling a full set of construction drawings.
- Be willing to travel as required to support projects.
- Be able to represent them in a professional and courteous manner.
- Possess an architectural license or be on path towards completion.
An ideal candidate would have:
- 3-12 years of experience in a similar role.
- Strong interpersonal skills for the purposes of participating and/or leading user group meetings with scientists, facilities personnel and other project stakeholders.
- Experience in the program development and detailed design of laboratory facilities or other highly technical facilities.
- Experience with developing and compiling laboratory casework and equipment specifications.
- A general understanding of building MEP systems, IBC codes and their implications on laboratory design.
- Willingness to mentor and support junior staff.
- Willingness to participate in presentation opportunities at trade shows or other industry forums.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to use equipment for communication and documentation purposes.
- Visual acuity to perform responsibilities.
- Ability to traverse active building construction sites.