My client is a multi-discipline engineering and consulting firm that provides civil and structural engineering, as well as environmental and safety services. Since 1966, we have focused on improving the quality of life for our clients, our people and the communities we serve. We have a passion for the highest level of design and a vision to fulfill the needs and dreams of our clients, delivered within a culture that fosters innovation and attracts high achievers, creative thinkers and great communicators.
We are currently seeking candidates to fill the position of Roadway Design Engineer in Raleigh and/or Wilmington North Carolina offices. You will be expected to immediately impact our firm as we seek innovative ways to serve our clients and grow our geographic presence in the Carolinas. You must exhibit a professional attitude, visionary thinking, innovative ideas, analytical problem solving and a willingness to collaborate while having the ability to work independently. A strong existing professional network and experience with North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) projects will assist in meeting the job requirements as a client-facing subject matter expert.
The following criteria are standards for consideration:
EDUCATION AND REGISTRATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering required
- P.E. license registered in North Carolina is required
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 10 to 20 years’ or more progressive engineering experience possessing a broad knowledge and experience in transportation and roadway design
- 5 years of project management experience is preferred
- Experience working on NCDOT design projects is required
- Micro Station and Geopak design software experience required
- Project management skills such as, schedule management, financial project management and excellent written and verbal communication skills required
JOB DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Perform engineering design tasks for roadway projects from preliminary to final design
- Develop specifications, cost estimates, and prepare final bid packages
- Established working relationships and contact with client technical staff and project managers especially in NCDOT, local governments, and private clients (Engineer)
- Provide engineering design services for traditional design-bid-build projects and design-build transportation projects
- Mentor and assist junior engineers in developing final design plans, including but not limited to implementation and knowledge of cross sections, traffic control, drainage, and signing and pavement markings plans (Engineer)
- Coordinate design activities and meetings between design staff, subcontractors, and client managers
- Participate in project decisions regarding technical approaches, cost and scheduling performance
- Identify schedule and cost variances and develop and implement recommendations for corrective action
- Participate in project by completing tasks within schedule and budget with teams comprised of different disciplines
- Actively participate and serve in leadership position in transportation related organizations such as ASHE, ASCE, DBIA, etc.