We are currently in search of a Senior Director, People & Culture for DASH (District Alliance for Safe Housing). The position is based in Washington, DC. This is a full-time, hybrid position with the need to be in the office 3 days per week.
POSITION TITLE: Senior Director, People & Culture
LOCATION: Washington, DC (hybrid role, 3 days in office)
DURATION: Full-time Permanent role
SALARY: $100-$110K annually
Summary of Position:
As the Senior Director, People & Culture (P&C), you will be proactive and agile, demonstrating high initiative and planning skills as you manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. You will support the organization in aligning organizational culture, strategy, and performance. You will develop and lead P&C policies, processes, programs, and activities that maximize and strengthen internal human capital, ensuring legal compliance and furthering the organization’s mission and talent strategy. You will build, develop, and maintain the organization’s capacity to accomplish its essential mission. You consistently maintain a service mentality and organizational integrity and adhere to the DASH model and values.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Expectations
- Partner with and advise the senior leadership team and the executive team.
- Develop and manage the budget for all P&C activities.
- Track and apply relevant organizational human capital metrics to strategize with executive and senior leaders.
- Advance the use of technology in P&C functions to support the organization’s programmatic and fiscal needs.
- Provide subject matter expertise to executive and senior leadership teams on best practices in workforce development and change management. Provide change management guidance as systems/processes are implemented.
- Oversee employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Develop a process for DASH succession planning to support an internal pipeline of new leaders.
- Partner with executive and senior leadership teams to plan and execute workforce strategy.
- Foster DASH’s empathetic and inclusive culture of care throughout the organization.
- Create transparency around organizational policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations to effect continual improvements throughout DASH.
Leadership Support and Development
- Serve as a coach for management team members in employee development, interpersonal and team opportunities, crucial conversations, and leadership.
- In consultation with leadership, oversee the design and implementation of a management training program for supervisory staff.
- Lead and oversee strategies to identify talent, manage organization-wide performance, and drive employee professional development. Work with department staff to develop programs and processes to engage employees, improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention; communicate openly and frequently.
Performance and Employee Development
- Implement and continuously improve a performance management system.
- Hold staff accountable to monitor and evaluate the success of training programs, following up to ensure training objectives are met.
- Work with senior leadership to identify departmental training needs and assist leaders with finding or developing appropriate training resources.
Inclusion and Equity
- Model DASH’s standard of understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to cultural differences present in the agency’s service and employee population; oversee the creation and implementation of P&C programs that build momentum for diversity, equity, and inclusion. Foster DASH’s efforts to develop and embody an anti-racist, inclusive, and equitable workplace culture.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues; where applicable, conduct effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
- Exercise great discretion, flexibility, and cooperation in all P&C matters. Make sound decisions based on conclusions for which there is little precedent.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization. Maintain effective working relationships with all employees. Focus on efforts to improve employee engagement, morale, and appreciation.
- Oversee implementation and continuous improvement of the DASH Employee Relations initiative. Facilitate employee relations efficiently and effectively.
- Foster regular employee communications. Design and oversee internal employee communication and engagement programs, including DASH All Hands meetings.
Compensation and Benefits
- Design and oversee a dynamic and progressive compensation program, including salary band and pay equity analysis. Utilize appropriate benchmark research to ensure DASH is competitive within its market area.
- Oversee accurate salary and time/attendance processes, including payroll.
- Oversee benefits and wellness program administration. Analyze and benchmark benefit offerings to establish competitive practices while ensuring legal compliance.
- Research and present additional well-being and mental health support initiatives to the executive team.
Systems and Compliance
- Maintain P&C compliance with all grant requirements and local, state, and federal employment-related laws and regulations.
- Reduce organizational risk related to all functions of P&C.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and best practices.
- Oversee and manage the PEO relationship to balance organizational needs with compliance.
- Ensure maintenance of records related to P&C according to policy and legal requirements.
- Oversee and ensure all P&C employee-related grant compliance.
- Oversee and regularly review the implementation of P&C policies and work with leadership to ensure compliance and continuous improvement.
- Oversee the continuing improvement of organizational policies, procedures, and best practices related to workforce management to maintain and improve employee relations and support a quality corporate culture.
- Ensure completion of required reporting and surveys. Provide analysis of data for improvements.
- Represent the organization as requested in audits of P&C-related documentation or processes.
- Manage, develop, coach, and mentor a high-performance P&C team. Delegate work streams effectively, fostering professional growth and motivating and holding team members to a high standard of excellence and accountability.
- Drive the professional development of staff within the department and the organization to meet strategic goals.
- Oversee P&C Action Item completion.
- Maintain contact and good relations with HR vendors, funding sources, HR at other local nonprofits, and a network of HR colleagues and subject-matter experts.
- Oversee timely recruitment processes and approve hire documentation before presenting top candidates for executive approval.
- Evaluate and continuously improve protocols and procedures throughout the organization.
- Supervise employee onboarding and offboarding processes and analyze data to foster continuous improvement.
- Represent the organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Maintain complete employee confidentiality in all matters. Exhibit the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity. Appropriately share “need to know” P&C information with the executive team.
- Model DASH’s standard of understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to cultural differences in the agency’s service and employee population.
- Master, communicate, and model DASH values.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in the following software programs is necessary for this role: Office 365 including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote and SharePoint.
- Human Resources Information System (HRIS) software
- Performance Management and Learning Management Systems
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, credit check, and drug test.
- Must have proof of vaccination against COVID-19 unless qualified for medical or religious exemption.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field, required
- Master’s in organizational development/organizational behavior, human resources, or a related field preferred.
- Seven or more years of demonstrated experience managing workforce engagement and relations, training, professional development, organizational development, and performance management systems and support within diverse organizations.
- Seven or more years of demonstrated experience in HR liability, Statutory and Regulatory Compliance, Investigations, Policy, and Procedure Development and training.
- Three or more years of supervisory experience scaling organizations beyond 50-100 employees across national markets.
- Proven ability to attract top talent and set up the culture, opportunity, and compensation to keep them happy, productive, and growing over the long term.
- Ability to see things from a strategic and macro viewpoint and provide hands-on support when needed.
- Motivation and demonstrated ability to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion with a deep commitment to advancing these values.
- Experience with efficient general business operations and standards.
- Experience working on issues related to the impact of trauma preferred.
- Experience in domestic and sexual violence service or housing/homeless services a plus.
- Knowledge of HR liability and compliance. Senior Human Resources Certification preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with people at different experience levels, positions, and backgrounds.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with great attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Experience ensuring strong communication and collaboration cross-functionally.
- Comfort and familiarity with working on multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Optimistic, excited by the challenges of achieving goals, and motivated by DASH’s mission.
- Requires prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk and working on a computer.
- May occasionally be called upon to perform various physical tasks, such as pushing, pulling, and lifting as much as 25 pounds unassisted.
- Ability to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.
Travel Requirements: Minimal
Work Environment: Hybrid. Virtual remote and in-person work in an office in a dedicated office building or residential setting in Washington, DC.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
DASH is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. DASH bases employment decisions on each person’s performance, qualifications, and abilities. DASH does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or characteristics protected by the District of Columbia and federal law. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the essential job functions, supplemental functions, and the essential requirements for the performance of this role. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and needs of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned, and management can add or change the responsibilities at any time.
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please click “Apply” to submit your resume.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume to [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers in Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.