BUILDING COMMISSIONING ENGINEER
Gaia is looking for a Building Commissioning Engineer (Registered Mechanical Engineer – PE) to join our team.
At Gaia, we collaborate with building owners, architects, designers, contractors, and property managers to consult on energy efficient building projects. We are seeking a full-time Mechanical Engineer with experience in mechanical system design, evaluation, construction and operations to join our team and provide building commissioning services. We support high-performance building projects, a majority of which are pursuing LEED certification or California Title 24 Compliance. Our projects are throughout the western United States.
Functions & Responsibilities:
· Work on new construction and existing buildings to assess and confirm the efficiency of energy and water using systems.
· Oversee Commissioning process, from OPR, BOD, Commissioning Plan, SVC, FPT, and issues resolution, to Commissioning report and/or Systems Manual.
· Coordinate and oversee FPT of HVAC, lighting, domestic hot water, landscape irrigation, and renewable energy systems, and their associated controls, to verify performance as designed.
· Review design and specifications to maximize system performance and ensure compliance with appropriate requirements, i.e. California Energy Commission (CEC), Title 24, LEED v2009. LEED v4, Living Building Challenge, etc.
· Troubleshoot operational problems and inefficiencies in MEP systems.
· Conduct ASHRAE Level I, II, and III Audits
· ENERGY STAR benchmarking and certification
· Licensed PE, preferable in California.
· Acceptance Testing Technician (ATT)
· Knowledge of MEP/renewable energy systems
· Experience in MEP/renewable energy design, evaluation, construction and building operations.
· Experience in testing or validating MEP/renewable energy systems.
· Strong, diplomatic project management and coordination skills.
· Experience with Title 24 and ASHRAE code.
· Personal and/or professional experience in the building industry or environmental sciences.
· Understanding of high-performance building technologies and strategies, particularly energy-related and water-related strategies, including renewables.
· Experience analyzing construction documents.
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong prioritization and time management skills.
· Ability to work in a team.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
· Travel required.
· Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP), and/or Existing Building Commission Professions (EBCP).
· Experience with LEED projects and preferably a LEED AP.
· Experience with WELL projects and preferably a WELL AP.
· Experience with Living Building Challenge (LBS) projects.
· Experience in energy modeling for LEED or other purposes (beyond Title 24 code compliance).
· Knowledge of CALGreen, LEED and other sustainability frameworks and tools such as ENERGY STAR and Living Building Challenge, and WELL.
· Experience in measurement and verification (M&V) implementation.
· Experience performing ASHRAE building audits.
· Experience with ongoing commissioning.
· Experience with monitoring-based commissioning
· Experience with envelope commissioning.
· Perform energy savings and cost analyses of energy efficiency measures.
Compensation & Benefits:
· Salary commensurate with role and experience.
· Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
· 3% to 401K, plus profit sharing.
· Project bonuses.
· Paid Time Off: vacation, sick, holidays, and volunteering.
· 9/80 work schedule.
· Opportunity to telecommute.
Located a block from the beach, we are a 14-year old high-performance building and sustainability consultancy company. Gaia specializes in energy efficient building consulting, energy modeling and building commissioning. One of the leaders in high performance real estate in Los Angeles, our roots extend to the early days of the sustainable building movement. We are a small, mission-driven company that provides benefits comparable to those of a larger company. Our unique culture is fun but professional. Based in a creative office space, we are focused on transforming the build environment. Our portfolio of projects includes some of the largest and most successful developers in the west.